Saturday, June 22, 2013

Update 4: Planting Seeds


Hello! Things are going great here in Burkina Faso!

Today I want to tell you about Shalom Farm!

Andrew and Pulsheri Gordon are CMF missionaries that have created a farm about 45 minutes from Sindou. The goal of this farm is to demonstrate sustainable farming techniques, to supply local farmers with resources and agricultural advice, and most importantly to impact their lives by showing them the love of Christ. 

Each week I get to spend two days out on the farm working with Andrew and the three local workers; Bob, Jack, and Shek (shortened names). The work is hard but fun and I can tell my efforts are impacting Bob, Jack, and Shek and giving me an awesome chance to become their friend. Each morning, after talking about what needs to be done on the farm that day, Andrew Gordon gets to share a Bible story with them. The men all seem very interested and ask many questions, Shek in particular. I would ask that you pray for Bob, Jack, and Shek and these storying sessions that are impacting their lives.

I got to see another impact of the farm this week. Wednesday morning two men from the village of Kawara (a place where Ken stories often) came by. They knew Ken, had heard about the farm and wanted to see it as well as ask for some advice. The men where trying to raise hens that would lay eggs in order to sell them and make a living. The hens were having serious health problems and could no longer walk. Andrew talked with them about the hen's diet and other concerns and with his veterinary background came to a conclusion that it was a vitamin D deficiency. Andrew talked to them about what they could do and feed the hens to correct this problem and then gave them a powder the mix into the hen's food that is made from Merringa plants grown on the farm, and gave the men Merringa seeds to plant their own. Before leaving the men gave Andrew their number and invited Andrew to come and visit them later in the week.

Through these simple acts of love, a relationship was formed and I have full confidence that these men will continue to tell other's about the farm and God will continue to open doors. This event reminded me of the parable of the growing seed in Mark chapter 4. Verses 26 and 27 say "He(Jesus) also said "this is what the kingdom of God is like. A man scatters seed on the ground. Night and day, whether he sleeps or gets up, the seed sprouts and grows, though he does not know how." By Andrew being obedient to God's prompting and showing Christ's love, a seed has been planted in these men's heart. 

I hope these updates are an encouragement to all of you and are demonstrating how God is at work here in Burkina Faso. At this point, I am still about 450 dollars short of the amount needed for my internship. CMF was still willing to let my come with faith that the money would come in sometime during the summer. I thank all of you that have been so generous to give to this cause and I ask that you would pray and consider giving again if God is leading you to do so. I have faith that God will provide and as always, your support through prayer is the greatest thing you can give to this cause. 

God bless,
Jake

2 comments:

  1. Jake!
    It sounds like you are learning a lot in Burkina Faso already! I am proud of you for going!!
    Thanks for writing this blog. I found it very, very encouraging. Mark 4:26-27 will probably become my saving grace for a while when I (finally) get to Ethiopia!!
    I am praying for you, all the great people you have mentioned, and for your funding!! You will do great things - you ARE doing great things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Kayla! I'm glad it helped you! I will absolutely be praying for you and Kait for the duration of your trip! July 1st is almost here! I know God is going to use yall in amazing ways to do His will, I am excited to hear all about it when yall return! God bless!

    ReplyDelete