Sunday, July 7, 2013

Update 6: Ramadan

Hello!

Since being here, I've been able to become friends with several of the young guys in my area of Sindou. I've been invited to hang out and spend time with in informal settings several times and it's been a blast building friendships with them!

Starting in a few days is the month-long Muslim holiday of Ramadan. During this time, men are not supposed to eat during daylight hours. Most of the older men here participate in the fast, but many of the younger guys my age do not because though they claim Islam, they do not hold strictly to the practices of it. This year I will be participating in the fast for two reasons. First, my hope is that these young men who do not take their religion seriously will see someone their age that does and force them to think about why they don't, and why I do. Second, during this month, a large part of Ramadan is breaking the fast with others every night with an evening meal. With Ken and I both participating in the fast, we believe that we will be invited to some of the evening meals and get a chance to explain that we are participating in the fast to grow closer to our God. In both reasons, the ultimate goal is to bring glory and honor to Jesus Christ, and open doors for potential conversations about Him.

I tell you this in order to ask for your prayers during this time. Please pray most importantly that our fasting will impact the lives of these wonderful people and create opportunities to talk about Heavenly Father. Next, I ask you to prayer for Ken and I, for our strength and perseverance during this time.

Also, God has completely provided the rest of the funding for this trip! He is faithful in providing what we need to be obedient to His calling. Thank you to everyone who  has supported me through prayer and finances and for partnering with me in this adventure.

God bless,
Jake



No comments:

Post a Comment